Thursday, October 1, 2020

Welcome to the Art Learning Lab!



It’s October 1, 2020.  In a normal year, I would have been back in the classroom by the middle of August teaching art to 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students. I love teaching art. Don’t get me wrong, I love making art too. Since the pandemic shut-down, finding myself unable to get a teaching job after moving from Austin to Oregon, I’ve spent countless hours in my garage studio making ceramics and countless more hours experimenting with my origami paper, beads, and my new sewing machine. But for me, more than getting my hands dirty creating my own arts and crafts, I love inviting others to experience art-making. Prompting artistic creation and seeing how those imaginations soar beyond what I predicted is one of the biggest thrills of being a teacher--having your expectations blown out of the water! 


My ego definitely took a hit when I couldn’t find a job, but the silver lining is, it’s given me time to try this new project--to create an online space to encourage people to find ways to incorporate more making into their lives. I’m going to experiment with filming videos, designing blog posts, and hopefully, creating a community of people eager to learn along with me! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback! I love hearing about your impressions and connections to my posts. Check out my facebook page for more conversations: facebook.com/ArtLearningLab/